Tuesday, March 26, 2024

 

Happy Coincidences

Sometimes as I sip my drink, I catch myself smiling. I realise that life has been kind. I have been blessed with great friends. 'Zindagi mein aur kya chahiye!”

Air Mshl Gautam Nayyar was three courses my senior. I had come to like him when we first met at the Inter Command Cricket Tournament. I was a month old in AFTC, and he had just left. Apart from cricket, we had another common passion - Old Monk Rum.

We did not have an opportunity to work together till the last posting to Nagpur for both of us. Before that he was the AOM and I was with the Ops branch as ACAS (Sigs & IT). Nayyar moved out on promotion as the AOC-in-C MC, and I moved, on promotion too, along with him as his SMSO. Having also spent a lot of time off the field with Mrs. Rachita (Peeku) Nayyar in our younger days, we had happy times together in Nagpur. Besides many other fond memories, there are three specific incidents which bring a smile to me whenever I recall them.

Shortly after the AOC-in-C settled down at Nagpur, the Guards Centre Commandant, and Station Commander Kamthi found an opportunity to invite him and Mrs. Nayyar for dinner. Some of us, his deputies were invited along with. Air Mshl and Mrs. Nayyar, however, got busy at the last moment with an outstation commitment. The rest of us from Vayu Sena Nagar attended without Air Mshl & Mrs. Nayyar. It came to me as a surprise when a young officer guided a smart barman to me and said, “Sir, Your Vodka with Tonic Water.” Now, I had heard that Rum wasn’t served in Army Officers’ Messes. So, I picked up the offered drink as a good option. I got to know later from the C-in-C’s Staff Officer that, on reaching Nagpur, the C-in-C had given up on his favourite Old Monk. His new favourite must have been conveyed to Kamthi. Well, I must say that despite an overdose of Vodka with Tonic Water, I enjoyed getting special attention from the young officers at Kamthi.

While the C-in-C went around on familiarisation visits to the depots, I stayed back initially at Nagpur to get used to my new assignment in the maintenance stream. However, a requirement came up to visit Air HQ along with the AOC-in-C. In his presence, in a high-level discussion, I had to make a presentation about the maintenance philosophies.

Nagpur had summer uniforms all-round the year. So, my winter uniforms had not been used after having been packed at Delhi. We took off from Nagpur at 5 AM to be in time at Air HQ on a wintry morning. On reaching Air HQ, when I was checking my presentation on the video projector, my Wg Cdr colleague announced with an alarm, “Sir, you are wearing AVM’s rank tapes!” The meeting presided over by the CAS was to begin in half an hour – it made me sweat in Delhi’s early January winters.

I had got all my rank tapes and collar tabs done up from Siddiqi before moving to Nagpur. How could this happen? There was little time to think about how my C-in-C sitting across in discussion with me during the flight hadn’t noticed it. It was time for action. Wg Cdr Bains, my former colleague at Air HQ, sprang into action sprinting down to his 2nd floor office. He tore off two rank stripes from his overalls. Those were put up one each on my shoulders with paper pins  to make me an Air Mshl.

An awkward situation averted, and with a job well done, we reached Nagpur by the evening. The first thing I shared with my wife was this fiasco. An immediate check revealed that a newer battle jacket winter uniform with Air Mshl rank tapes was neatly hanging in the cupboard. Friend Murphy in the avatar of my smart orderly had come to iron and prepare the discarded uniform for me. No wonder, looking at my tight fit uniform in the morning, my wife had commented that I was putting on weight.

One more incident associated with Nayyar has always baffled me. Is there a supernatural power that plays out cards we can’t understand? On his promotion and posting as
AOC-in-C MC, Air Mshl Nayyar had hosted dinner at AFND. After a round of drinks, some Champagne was brought in. Air Mshl Nayyar gave the customary shake to the Champagne bottle before using his thumb to uncork. Lo and behold, the cork flew up high before finding its place in my glass a couple of meters away from Nayyar. A few friends noticed and said cheers! Everyone forgot about it soon. I was not expected to wear Nayyar’s shoes immediately after him. However, the situation changed denying me an opportunity to be the AOM for some time before returning to Nagpur. And I took over from Air Mshl Nayyar when he retired. Wish I had preserved that cork!

CHEERS!

14 comments:

  1. Good share! Some cricket experience s would have been welcome . Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading it. A cricketer instead exchanging a bat, hands over the baton of Maintenance command to another cricketer. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice memories sir. Nayyar sir was my CEO at Gwalior and I met Athwale sir during my AFTC training as we played a match against ASTE.With this connection, I got connected again with both of them at Maintenance command. Those are fond memories.Lot of cricket and social activities, apart from usual professional engagements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent share sir. Your narration about Happy Coincidences (down the memory lane) was interesting to go through. Starting with Cricket, Old Monk, Guard centre Kamti, wearing of Air Mshl Rank modified tapes by your Staff officer ... Finally Champagne cork landing in your drink. It's indeed Happy Coincidences.
    We wish you had narrated something about Golf too.
    Anyway we pray for more such Happy occasions. Sir be Happy and keep smiling. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting anecdotes! Have been very fortunate to have had great friends in the IAF, and on & off the cricket field. Always cherish the memorable times spent with Air Mshl Gautam Nayyar (& Peeku) and Air Mshl Pramod Athawale (& Neelima).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most interesting account of realities of life . I have lot of place for Gautam and you .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting read for sure. Maybe a good idea to add on including some cricketing ones.
    👍👍🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  8. The author does one better each time.Puckish wit, mellowed recalls,gifted grace does not come easily.Enviable.That the Air Marshall's here, have played more than cricket and excelled would be an euphemism.And like someone did bring out in the Comments section for a little about cricket.It would have been that one more drink for the road to feel - a little wooly in the head, foolish smile pasted,even more happier after the read.Thank you,Sir.
    PS.The Comments Section is an add on.I love reading them.Anonymous comments may have their names written after the comment.It would give a name and a face.(Unless Anonymous is preferred )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Banjo, for your suggestion about Anonymous comments.
      One is forced to make an Anonymous comment in absence of Login authorisation. However, within the comment, a name can be included (unless one wishes to keep it anonymous). With a face associated, it will add great value to the comment
      Friends have been asking me why no cricket anecdotes here.
      Let me remind them Banjo, that you were the best short leg/ silly point fielder with us at that time. Shakta sir won’t forget the occasion when on his bowling you sprung up from your short leg position to attempt a catch at the vacant silly point. Only Solkar has been seen trying to do that. We lost a cricketer Banjo to the more exciting world of para jumping and sky diving!
      Pramod

      Delete
    3. I'm humbled sir.It has been my singular privilege to have served these sterling men in whites on the cricketing field.Generous and lavish in praises Athawale Sir, makes an idiot look a winner.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful share, I had the privilege, pleasure and honour to work under you both wonderful Air Marshals. It was a pleasure reading beautifully written anecdotes. Neelam joins me to convey our best regards to Air Mshl Pramod Athawale Sir and Neelima madam and Air Mshl Gautam Nayyer Sir and Rachita madam. We learned a lot from you and thank you for your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good share Sir. I had the privilege to work with both of you Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good memories to share sir. Many of us working with you wouldn't have come to know all this until you have pen down on peper . Keep this tradition on for all of us to enjoy it. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete