Monday, March 23, 2020


AIR FORCE CRICKET NOSTALGIA! THE AMATEUR ERA


A Fighter Pilot and one of my senior friends, AVM AK Shyam often reinforces his love for the Air Force saying, “Given any number of choices in my next janam, I would never trade my Air Force life for anything else!” I am sure that even those officers and men who left the Air Force earlier than AVM Shyam, for alternate career options, shall not trade off their Air Force beginnings with any other option. This is where we got a grounding that was truly unmatched.
Early exit from the Air Force has been a routine for almost all airmen cricketers after the 1970s. I don’t recall any, after MWO Ghundi and MWO SK Singh who stayed their full tenure. The early-exit trend among officers started sometime in the 1990s. However, compared to the airmen cricketers, fewer officers followed that path.T
The maxim, “My Air Force, The Best Ever”, strengthens year after year among former cricketers as we meet more regularly than any other group as large as ours. The bonding is incomparable among veteran Air Force cricketers, some of who played at the highest levels as air warriors first and amateur cricketers next. That was truly a gift of the amateur sports era. The equations and relationships were man to man rather than on the price tags of players.
University of Roorkee, a legendary institution from where I graduated, had mandatory participation in a wide range of sports. However, in later life, many illustrious fellow players from Roorkee never got adequate opportunities. Compared to the rest, the Air Force has had an excellent sports environment even as we were professionally engaged in a tough grind, as much or more than anyone else outside. I fondly recall my time as the Air Force Cricket captain. I often changed my uniform on the field for the evening practice, to eventually get back into it for a few more hours of software work at HQ WAC.
Professional journeys for all of us from different branches and trades in IAF have brought home innumerable lessons in camaraderie and leadership. The sports arena has also had its share of examples without most of us being consciously aware. Engaging in a team game like Cricket has been somewhat akin to being with a team of technicians on the squadron tarmac.
My first lesson in leadership came up on the Air Force Cricket ground. That was when I first saw an Air Mshl. Early in AFTC, I was selected to represent Training Command in Inter Command Cricket Championship. The first match was with Air HQ. As I opened the innings, I was spellbound to see Air Vice Marshal IH Latif (later the Air Chief) briskly adjusting his field position at midwicket with all attention to the commands of the skipper in slips, Sqn Ldr VM Muddaiah. That short half hour stay at the crease brought home to me the essence of leadership – The art of empowering the nominated leader despite one's own towering presence.
Fellowship and esprit-de-corps among cricketers continued to develop through my years in the Air Force. A great thought by my predecessor at Maintenance Command of hosting the past and present Air Force cricketers, as a part of Vauysena Challenge Cup, was proudly continued by me and also by my successor. Most of us recall the humour in whites in the inaugural event. A veteran with painful knees, Gp Capt Bill Chauhan was brought to bat on a bicycle carrier. The viewers realised that his arms were still strong when he hit three sixes before the close of innings.
The most amazing part of Cricket nostalgia has been the yearly reunion of Air Force veteran cricketers at Hyderabad. These have been organised since 2002 by former airmen, HP, Kumar and Sunil, with many others contributing. All of them are doing extremely well, thanks to the excellent grooming in the Air Force. A large number of former Corporals to veteran Air Marshals gather here to rekindle old memories. The on-field presence of erstwhile greats including octogenarian Gp Capt Dinoo Deshpande and nearly there Gp Capt GS Shaktawat has been an inspiration to the younger veterans besides holding youngsters from the opposition in awe. The young Air Force Academy team, often led by their not so young Commandant, beats the veterans hollow year after year. We are left to only applaud the young AFA side for their superior game and exemplary conduct towards the veterans. Delightfully, at the end of the game every year, the winner is always the spirit of Air Force!
Besides the on-field forgettable performance, the two musical evenings in company of friends energises veterans and the ladies for the remaining year. Friends from sister services also join us in celebrations. They don’t however say the obvious – “Humare yahan aisa nahin hota!” No wonder! It’s been a unique legacy, handed over to us by greats like Air Chief Mshl IH Latif followed by Muddaiah, Dani, Dharmalingam, Awasthi, Diwan, Thobte, and Porel, to name a few.
I can’t but agree more with you Shyam ji, “None of us shall trade our Air Force life for anything else!” 

Air Mshl Pramod Athawale

7 comments:

  1. Good morning Sir,
    Nostalgic, very interesting and narrated excellently. I'm sure everyone of us, in agla janam would definitely be in IAF and that too as cricketer to be amongst you all.
    Thank you very much Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. Captaining the IAF cricket team is a super achievement. I have a lot of respect for the sportsmen as they strongly believe in team-spirit, a quality which is needed in any organisation. Having served in the IAF as a leader in different capacities, the sportsmen with their positive outlook and jovial nature have been great assets. Apart from the out of the world experience in the IAF, I have made great friends like you Pramod. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pramod Sir, Good morning.Absolutely nostalgic and am thrilled reading the entire narration and also hope and pray the Veteran Air Warrior cricketers continue to meet every year with the same spirit in mind and keep our old memories alive as always.Very well compiled and thank you Sir.I am proud to be a part of this excellent group. Regards & best wishes,Sashi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pramod Sir, Namaste. Sir I am thrilled reading your Nostalgia and the narration is excellant. I know it has come out from your heart and it shows how you love all our veterans. Your Nostalgia is evèr remembered . Since all of us love each other, it makes us to meet every year at Hyderabad and exchanege our effection and love between us with families. Hats off to you Sir. Seed sowed by our beloved HP, Kumar, Sunil and others, it will become baniyan tree and remembered for ever and under that shade future veterans will enjoy. Though I was not part of it, I am really proud if you Sir. Thank you. Regards and best wishes.- DSR Murthy

    ReplyDelete
  5. [3/24, 2:51 PM] Dilip Das: Sir Excellent Straight bat drive..While while going the drive,could reconnect so many incidences on the field.
    One of the incidence came in my mind when Sir mentioned the greats MWO S K Singh & MWO Gundy.Though I can't recollect about Singh Sir but was fortunate enough to play with Sgt Gundy at that time.A very fallible person and classic batsman & wicket-keeper defying his body structure.I n mid off 1970 after passing out conversion course I was posted to A Stn Tambaram.At that Tambaram team was playing league matches in Madras.Sgt Gundy was our captain.We were playing one of the matches in Loyla college.We opted to field and new ball was given me since my Captain somehow impressed my exponential fast bowling.Though I was known for my swashbuckling batting..As 21 year explosive young energetic fast bowler started of the over.But when I completed over my Captain,striker batsmen & Umpire were aghast and relieved from the nightmare they had in almost 12 balls in an over.
    That day somehow I could not find wicket( Matting ).I was firing one after another from my arsenal and every time was missing my target batsman over the head, over the wickets and sometimes over the Wicket-keeper.Gundy Sir shouting at me with bewildered look and big mustache..At one stage he pleaded me telling " मेरे बाप तु खडे़ खडे़ बोल कर लेकीन ओवर तो खतम कर "
    I can't tell anything about the batsman what he had gone through during that spell.
    But In that ONE fateful unforgettable over of 2overs 😅 one catch was dropped by a fielder in point .Though that ball also could have been wide but batsman somehow managed to touch the Yorker length ball wide out side the Off stump.The ball flew like bullet to point fielder who was swaring at me..
    It is 50 years...I still cannot forget it..
    Thanks for revitalizing us again reminding those lovely moments.
    [3/24, 3:06 PM] Dilip Das: Read as "affable"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb sir,
    Sir you have taken me to my memorable days.
    I was part of Services and IAF cricket team from 1988 to 1995 ,and the life we had no civilian can dream of. The chai with fan at Palam more to Pandara road ka chicken, Airport ke aalu paratha to India gate ki icecream and so on.
    The veterans meet at Hyderabad aslo started on same line.
    I somehow still believe that we can beat IAF Dundigal team.

    HP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb sir,
    Sir you have taken me to my memorable days.
    I was part of Services and IAF cricket team from 1988 to 1995 ,and the life we had no civilian can dream of. The chai with fan at Palam more to Pandara road ka chicken, Airport ke aalu paratha to India gate ki icecream and so on.
    The veterans meet at Hyderabad aslo started on same line.
    I somehow still believe that we can beat IAF Dundigal team.

    HP

    ReplyDelete