Wednesday, August 14, 2024

 

The 3-tonner Ride!

In mid 80s, as a Sqn Ldr, Test Engineer from ASTE, I was required to visit Air Force Station Jamnagar. I was to do the preparatory work for our weapon trials to be carried out later. Therefore, I was not with an ASTE trial team, and was required to travel alone by rail.

The onward journey to Jamnagar and the work there were uneventful. However, the return journey had something unexpected in store for me.

I had been working at the MT hangar in Jamnagar, where our trial equipment on wheels was stored. So, I was in good contact with the STO MT and some of his staff. Having given my transport requisition with their knowledge, it was natural for me to expect they would accommodate me on a suitable light vehicle on my return to the Railway Station.

To my surprise, a big 3-tonner arrived at the officers’ mess in the evening. During those times in the Air Force, a 3-tonner, for officers was not an unusual mode of transport. So, without an alarm, I happily pushed my suitcase in the rear and got into the front seat. The drama was only to begin now.

The Civ. MTD told me that it was a Routine Run and would therefore, go around the airmen mess and married quarters area before proceeding to the Railway Station. No issues, since I had a lot of time to catch my train. When we stopped at the airmen married quarters area, a Warrant Officer approached me to say that his wife was unable to climb up the rear. He requested me to let her sit next to me on the front seat. Without hesitation, I got down to let her in. Then feeling a little awkward to join her on the front seat, I asked the Warrant Officer to sit with her. It took a little time and persuasion to get the Warrant Officer to agree, and I happily went around to the rear of the transport.

I was shocked to see that the transport was overflowing with men. There was no place for me, however, I couldn’t afford to miss my train. So, recalling my student days expertise in climbing up the trains through the windows, I began climbing up. That is when a couple of generous hands grabbed me and pulled me in. There was no room to even stand straight, and all through the journey to the Railway Station, I remained in an 80 degrees inclined position, under uniform pressure from all sides.

Profusely sweating, physically strained, and terribly embarrassed, I got down at the Railway Station, picked up my suitcase and moved off without talking to anyone. Everyone was busy with one’s own problems – no one noticed me.

Anonymity was the best option. And I did well to walk off without making a scene. However, it took me a long time to breathe normal after getting into my 1st class compartment.

I was extremely miffed at our system for pushing me into an insulting situation. I believed that the STO MT had neglected me just because I was way junior to him. It was sad that the Station Adjutant had also not cared to get the feedback about the RR getting overcrowded.

Looking back, I had no one else to blame. The Warrant Officer had no other option but to request me to accommodate his wife. And it was I who had persuaded him to change places with me. The airmen at the rear had thought of me as a fellow airman. The roughed-up treatment to me was something that they all were going through.

A lesson stayed with me throughout - to care for juniors, who did not have senior officers’ weight behind them and who did not demand anything.

God bless all !

Pramod Athawale

13 comments:

  1. Sir though after math of the experience u had, it had turned out be a caring Commander born for the men who ever worked under You. Hats off to your leadership sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cannot write,sir ( what you do)unless one has lived and felt it.And then to reflect on what happened to see the proverbial positive in the rough experience is quite another.You'd leave many an 'officer'uncomfortable to have remembered having done the contrary.What is officer-like-quality (and not as per an aide- memoire) is right here.A common story told in an uncommon way,endearing and gentle. ज़ोर का झटका धीरे से लगे ।

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivid and interesting, Sir! Your narration reminds me of our own memorable travels in a rickety three-tonne every day to the Malpura Drop Zone. The only consolation used to be an occasional ‘Jalebi Break’ en route. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. We salute your leadership sir

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pramod for sharing it. When we look back it may not appear so bad but our organisation's ability to provide basic amenities has been always questionable. I hope things are improving now. You make it sound fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir, my first 3 tonner journey was on this very day, 16 Aug 1976, from Bangalore rly stn to Jalahalli East. This journey is etched on my mind, though enjoyed it. During the following years had many encounters of this epic ride machine..
    It was the first step in making us men out of boys...

    ReplyDelete
  7. For Junior Officers it used to be a routine rather than an exception till around mid 80s. Undoubtedly it used to be embarrassing.
    Hopefully things must have improved by now.
    Pramod, your embarrassing experience humorously narrated has transported me back to my 3 /1 Tinner journies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well narrated the real life experience of travelling in 3 tonner with a bit of satisfaction of being able to help a lady on one hand and being embrassed with the treatment meted on the other hand This takes us all back to that Genre where getting a Transport either 3 ton or 1 ton etc itself is great achievement I can’t forget the number times I rang up to MT section for transport to go on TD and promptly the reply from other end used to be Sir the transport had just left. I never knew the secret that it was the standard reply given by desk NCO of MT Section till I became MTO and heard it first hand 😋😋Those were the good old golden days
    Thanks Pramod for taking us back to those lovely memories

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well articulated episode that we all experienced at some time or other during our service days. But the ending was great - a lesson for officers to show empathy for our juniors. Keep writing Pramod - I enjoy reading your articles !!
    Uday G ( shanks)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a big difference between IAF and the other two services who treat their officers in more dignified way. I was always very critical the way officers are treated in IAF. Just to correlate I had been on couple of ferries for mirage 2000 from Paris. Each time the aircraft was loaded upto the brim. There was hardly any place for me and my crue on that long flight. We had to some how adjust ourselves on top of the load with hardly any breathing space. Somehow survived.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What was a problem and and an insult then is no more bitter and insulting now . With limited jeeps, with less interested STO(MT), one always landed up in situations of this sort.May be the reason why you rush to make a friendship with STO(MT)within a day of landing in an outstation. Beautiful Narration, though

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jai Hind Sir,
    Always great to read your articles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect depiction of 3-Tonner's travelogue - wonderful experience! 😊

    ReplyDelete